Welcome to the website of speculative fiction writer Vandana Singh. Here you can find information about Vandana, her stories, links to reviews, essays on a variety of subjects from fiction and literature to science and social justice, and musings on her blog Antariksh Yatra.
- Vandana was a participant in the UN COP 26 Climate Conference event: Futures Lab: Just Climate Action, in November 2021. Watch here.
- Vandana Singh presented a fictional performance/ reading on climate justice at a TED Countdown Event in October 2021 as part of the Climate Imagination Fellowship. Read about it here.
- Climate Imagination : Vandana Singh is a 2021 Climate Imagination Fellow at Arizona State’s Center for Science and the Imagination, where, along with three other international science fiction writers, Libia Brenda, Hannah Onoguwe and Xia Jia, she will be working on climate fiction in the lead up to the UN COP 26 Climate Conference in Glasgow in November, 2021.
- Forthcoming from PM Press in January 2022, in their Outspoken Authors Series, a short collection of fiction and non-fiction called Utopias of the Third Kind, available for pre-order HERE.
- This website has been revamped by graphic designer Justine Greenwood.
- 2020 yielded only one story, a very short one called Sticky Man, for the whimsical magazine Lady Churchill’s Rosebud Wristlet.
- A roundup of reprints in Year’s Best volumes! “Widdam” in Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Vol. 13, Ed. Jonathan Strahan (2019). “Mother Ocean” in The Best Science Fiction of the Year Vol. 5, Ed. Neil Clarke, 2020. “Reunion” in Year’s Best Science Fiction, Vol. 1 Ed. Jonathan Strahan, 2020 and “Requiem” in The Best Science Fiction of the Year, Vol.4, Ed. Neil Clarke, in 2019.
A new anthology of stories, essays and artwork titled “A Year Without a Winter”, edited by Dehlia Hannah includes “Widdam”, a story by Vandana Singh, alomgside such amazing authors as Nnedi Okorafor, Tobias Buckell and Nancy Kress. “Widdam” is a neologism derived from the acronym for World Destroying World Machine (WDWM).
Boskone is an annual science fiction convention organised by the New England Science Fiction Association (NESFA). Dr Vanadana Singh is the Hal Clement Science Speaker at this year’s convention which is from February 16, 2019. Click here for the announcement on the Boskone website.
The 2019 Philip K. Dick Award nominees were announced here on January 12, 2019 by the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society and the Philip K. Dick Trust. AMBIGUITY MACHINES AND OTHER STORIES by Vandana Singh (Small Beer Press) was one of the six nominations.
Interview in March 2018 on the Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy, as featured on Wired.com.
Out in February 2018 in the U.S. from Small Beer Press, and in September 2018 in South Asia from Zubaan books – my new short story collection, Ambiguity Machines and Other Stories! Publisher’s Weekly Top 10 in SF, Fantasy and Horror, Spring 2018, with critical acclaim from Washington Post, Scroll.in, Wall Street Journal and LA Review of Books among many others. See this link for more information and reviews, including an interview with Wired Magazine.
Vandana Singh’s story “Conservation Laws,” originally published in my first short story collection “The Woman Who Thought She Was a Planet” (Zubaan/Penguin India 2008), has been reprinted in the January 2018 issue of Uncanny Magazine here.
Article by editors Ed Finn and Joey Eschrich in Slate, Dec. 2017, about the anthology “Visions, Ventures, Escape Velocities,” from Arizona State University’s Center for Science and the Imagination. The volume came out in November 2017 and contains the new novella “Shikasta” here.
Tangent Online review of new story, “Widdam,” in the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Jan 2018 here.
Italian publication of 2014 novella Entanglement in Francesco Verso’s Future Fiction series here.
Interview in Los Angeles Review of Books, November 2017 here.
Publisher’s Weekly Starred Review of Ambiguity Machines and Other Stories – Number 1 on list of recommended readings in science fiction, fantasy and horror for Spring 2018 here.
Upcoming – Vandana’s second short story collection, Ambiguity Machines and Other Stories from Small Beer Press (Feb 2018) here.
An article “Notes on Indian Science Fiction: The Parallel Worlds of Jayant Narlikar and Vandana Singh” by Salik Shah in Mithila Review here.
- The French edition of Vandana’s first short story collection (“The Woman Who Thought She Was a Planet,” Zubaan, reprint 2013) came out from in 2016 to multitudinous positive reviews, for example at this link. Translated by Jean-Daniel Brèque with a cover by Aurelien Police. Click here for the link.
- Upcoming science fiction story, “Wake-Rider,” in the December issue of Lightspeed
- Short story “Arctic Light,” in the anthology “Eat the Sky, Drink the Ocean,” a unique Indian-Australian collaboration to be published by Allen and Unwin
- Science fiction novella, “Entanglement,” in the Project Hieroglyph anthology, out in September 2014 (http://hieroglyph.asu.edu/)
- Vandana will be a Guest of Honor at the SFRA conference at Stonybrook in 2015! (http://sfra.org/sfra2015)
Header Image Credit: ESA/Hubble & NASA, B. Nisini